Monday 17 October 2011

Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix singles

 Teenage Fanclub were the first band I saw live when I went to university on the Bandwagonesque tour. All I had at the time was the "God Knows It's True" EP, even though I'd heard Bandwagonesque and Catholic Education. I don't remember them being all that exciting either. A couple of years later they released Thirteen which was mostly disappointing so the Fannies went off my radar for a while.

But in 1995, a Reading performance turned me back onto them again and Grand Prix was purchased. The first side of this album is classic - not a second wasted - all pure gold. So here are the singles from this landmark album starting with the chilled Mellow Doubt.

Mellowed out

Neil Jung was next, as if we needed to know the influence that Neil Young had on TFC. This single came out as two EPs, the normal one and an alternative version which doesn't sound that different, it's just a bit longer. But with six exclusive b-sides across the two EPs, well worth getting hold of.

Going nowhere

Couldn't take the pain and left it there

Finally, the Sparky's Dream singles, again in a normal version and alternative version so six more b-sides across the two EPs. Whose idea was it to start limiting singles to three tracks in order for them to be eligible for the charts? I think that killed the EP as a format.

Need a magic ball to see her in the morning

No comments:

Post a Comment