Sunday 4 December 2011

Chest - singles

OK, this one might be a little too obscure for most of you. But in 1995-6 Chest captured my heart like few other bands ever have. First, for me, was their second release "Angels". I must have heard it on the radio, possibly Mark Radcliffe, and bought the single immediately after. I went to the last Phoenix festival in 1996 having won tickets to go. I only remember two things about the festival - one, that after running out of money by Sunday morning, I found a tenner lying in the grass so that I could eat. The other was Chest, for me, the best band of the weekend.

There was something magical about the female harmonies, violin and upbeat melodies. Simon Williams must have also felt this as he released two further singles and an album on Fierce Panda before Chest disappeared soon after. A sad loss. A couple of years later, in Cambridge, I became acquainted with the very nice chap who did the artwork for them, Doug Holland (Hi Doug).

So here are the four singles they released, starting with the "Destiny Phones" 10" EP, lovingly ripped from my vinyl copy. All 4 songs are great but I particularly love "Jean Brodie" and "Listen". Listen.

Second is the aforementioned "Angels" single b/w "Panic Attack".

What have you done this time?

Next is the "Feels The Same" 7" backed with one of my favourite Chest song; "Better Now".

I don't know how that man hit that man so hard he died.

And finally, the "Aniseed" single b/w "Nosebleed".

I don't always want to be the one who jumps in first and gets it wrong.

If you can pick up a copy of their album "Mystery Superette", I suggest you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment