Friday 7 October 2011

Joy Zipper - Early EPs and compilation tracks

No I this month due to a lack of Inspiration. So instead, a special treat for you in J.

Husband and wife team Vincent Cafiso and Tabitha Tindale entertained us for nearly 10 years as Joy Zipper with their blend of blissed-out alterno-pop songs. I can remember listening to the first album when it came out on a listening post in Rough Trade, Talbot Road. I didn't buy it. I don't remember why exactly. I've a feeling that it was hyped a little bit and I was underwhelmed. It was four years later that I got into Joy Zipper with the release of their mini-LP "The Stereo and God", in particular it was the songs "If I'm Right" and Gun Control". As usual in these cases I had to reassess my previous opinions of the debut album and hunt out all of the early EPs. And here they are. Firstly is 1999's "Christine Bonilla" EP featuring two exclusive b-sides.

Boy Clipper

Secondly is 2002's "Gun Control" EP featuring the excellent "Christmas Song" and "Gun Control" (different to the version that appears on "The Stereo and God") as well as an exclusive b-side "Moonmoonmoon".

Soy Dipper

And thirdly, the "Ron" EP from the same year with b-sides "Absent Father" and an instrumental version of "Dosed and Became Invisible".

Toy Slipper

To round off the post is a collection of four tracks from compilation albums over the years. All covers, they include The Clash's "Hitsville UK", The Cure's "Just Like Heaven", The Pixies "Wave Of Mutilation" and Daniel Johnstone's "Held The Hand". Enjoy.

Ploy Gripper

In retrospect I think I was right about their first album, but "American Whip" and "The Heartlight Set" more than made up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment