Tuesday 11 October 2011

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - 1990 EPs

 
Growing up in the Midlands, it was difficult not to be a fan of the local indie heroes. The Wonder Stuff, Pop Will Eat Itself and Ned's Atomic Dustbin. Although known as a T-shirt band I never owned one (not enough cash at the time) but bought all of their output (from a record shop in Redditch as the one in Bromsgrove didn't stock them). I remember while I was at university, they did a tour to support "Are You Normal" and at each venue had a local band to open for them, which they 'auditioned' through the receipt of demo tapes. The winners were announced on Radio 1! In Liverpool, this was a band I had become acquainted with called the Firecharmers. They won on account of one of their songs opening with the Rainbow theme tune.

I did see the Neds on one of their reunion tours at the Forum in Kentish Town. Wasn't quite the same somehow. But back in their heyday, they were a very exciting live act, and the first band I can remember with two bass players. These EPs bring a lot of memories back, playing them in the sixth-form common room etc.

Their first EP was The Ingredients EP with the excellent "Aim" and "Grey Cell Green"

If I have two beans and add two more beans, what does that make?


The second single is their most 'famous' - "Kill Your Television". I really like the remix version on this EP and can remember learning to play it on my guitar.

Soap for sore eyes

Finally, the "Until You Find Out" EP, an excellent track with two of my favourite b-sides; "Flexible Head" and Bite.

It's like getting locked out when the phone rings

No comments:

Post a Comment