Sunday 9 October 2011

Ligament - Singles

 Before Part Chimp, Tim Cedar and Johnny Hamilton (Industry) were in Ligament. They were one of my favourite bands of the mid-nineties. I was fortunate enough to see their last (full-time) gig when I'd just moved to London. It was Upstairs at the Garage and the place was rammed, mostly because Mogwai were supporting. This annoyed me for a start because at this point I'd gone off Mogwai (because they had become relatively popular and self-indulgent). To top it off, Mogwai's set consisted of one 30 minute song. I sulked at the bar reading a book in protest. Ligament themselves were fantastic. I distinctly remember Jamie Hince (now Mrs Kate Moss) of Scarfo crawling around on stage during "His Giz".

Their first single was the "Three Dimensional Pumping Heart" 7" on Flower Shop Recordings, which came with a little bit of paper that explained how to build your heart. A bit rough (maybe it's just my overplayed single) but "Thank You For My Pumping Heart is excellent.

Assembly of tube veins and arteries

Second up is their 1995 EP "Indifferent Cop". This contains one of my favourite ever songs "Theme From Ligament" as well as three other superb tracks.

Ligament's in the house

Thirdly is the single from their first album "Kind Deeds" called "Give It Up", a Pavement-y song. You should get Kind Deeds if you can find a copy - it is mega-brilliant.

If you had a womb, you would give birth to me

Number four is the single from the frankly disappointing follow up album "Halfway Between San Juan and Mendoza" on Kitty Kitty. The single itself, "Me Supreme", is really good though so well worth a download.

With these chocolate pralines you are surely spoiling us

Finally, a collection of tracks from various split singles and compilations, including the aforementioned "His Giz" and two versions of the same song "Stslag"/"Stslaj".

Good Times

No comments:

Post a Comment